Anyway, I swear there's a generic set load of crap that people have to say to single people. For example...
- There's plenty of fish in the sea
- The next one will be it!
- You deserve much better
- I'll set you up with my friend! (they never do)
- You should date your best friend
- etc etc etc
This past weekend, I got the chance to really sit down with myself and look back on life and ask why my dating life has been such a failure. I realized it hasn't been. Dating just isn't for me, at least right now. I looked back and realized that every moment that I've been genuinely happy is when I didn't have to bother liking someone and simply took life as it was.
In other words, I have personally chosen not to believe in romantic love right now. Why? Because every moment I can relate to the words "romantic love" it is associated with pain, hurt and tears. So can you really blame me? Now don't start some bullcrap argument with me about how if romantic love doesn't exist then I wouldn't be here and blah blah blah. STOP IT. My life, my choices. You don't see me walking around hating on you for being "in love".
I have a lot to blame on my current environment, I go to a school where dating is apparently the most important thing in your life, not school or building friendships. Not to mention valentines day was just this past weekend, and the majority of my friends are either in relationships or budding relationships. My only options are to date people from church, school or work. Church experiences with guys - SUCKED REAL BAD. School experiences - I don't believe in dating someone you'll probably ever see in one semester plus I don't talk to people in my classes if I don't know them. What's the point if you'll probably never see them again? And work...ha. I work alone.
So yeah, I'm just here kicked to the curb as a twenty-something that has never really dated anyone or kissed anyone. Actually, I'm probably seen as "undesirable #1" (yes that was a harry potter reference) because ....
- I'm asian - lots of guys at this freaking school automatically steer clear from me because of my ethnicity. HI, HELLO I'M ACTUALLY AMERICAN AND PROBABLY THE WHITEST PERSON YOU'LL EVER MEET. Also I refuse to date asians...sorry not sorry.
- My political opinions are the complete opposite of the majority of my school...yay utah.
- I'm just really outspoken. LIKE REALLY OUTSPOKEN.
- I won't change myself to impress someone. Take me as I am, or I don't care.
- I'm not the smartest person, but I can get by, I mean I freaking made it into BYU
But you know what? I'm content and really happy with where I am. Chances are, I probably won't ever date anyone at my university due to all of the above, ha. And I'm actually really okay with it.
As the wonderful Rolling Stones once put it, "You can't always get what you want, but you get what you need." And right now, I need to focus on everything in life BUT dating. I'm sure one day, it'll actually feel easy and I can associate it with happy things. But for now I'm going to just hate on it like nobody's business because being single means I can wear whatever the crap I want, look how ever the crap I want and do whatever the crap I want and not have to care about what someone thinks of me. Plus, if someone truly did like/love me for who I am, they would obviously accept my everyday habits.
So here's to post #1 on my blog and the single life! Live it up, because soon enough you won't be able to do all those things single people do.

No comments:
Post a Comment