Labels: I hate them. I personally think they're stupid, and pointless and that they give society a reason to judge others and create false stereotypes.
It all started last year when I started to kind of change my music taste and style and really became who I currently am which is apparently labeled as "Hipster". Let's be frank here, I hate the word hipster. Really, it's the worst. How does one even define a hipster when in fact it is "mainstream" to be hipster but being mainstream is so not hipster?? In other words, being hipster is a paradox that I can't wrap my mind around.
My roommate last year, Claire, decided to point it out to me that I was a hipster. Of course I refused to believe, and still do that I am.
Shortly after on a shopping trip at Urban Outfitters, my own mother called me a "hippie" upon asking if I could buy a shirt there.
To my luck I spent my summer at Disney World "hipster-free" and wasn't told once...at least so I remember...I could be wrong.
And a few months ago, my current roommate, Robyn, asked me as we walked into the mall, "Rachel, are you a hipster?" and of course my appropriate response was an outrage of why anyone would consider me that and going off on a rant.
And several weeks after that, a good friend said I was 25% hipster...who even knows what he thinks the other 75% is....ha. Thanks, as always, Ryan.
AND yesterday...what a nightmare. First, at church I was told by another person that I am...87% hipster followed by my roommate saying I'm a full hipster. Later being told by another old roommate, Abby, that I'm a hipster and taking the buzzfeed hipster quiz getting the result "insufferable hipster scum: you are the worst" Or something like this is a common answer I get on any buzzfeed quiz. ALWAYS WITH THE HIPSTERS.
LIKE WHY. I SERIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND. I really don't see it. And then...here comes the ultimate confusion - a group of people over at my apartment attempt to tell me I'm a hipster. I honestly do not see it. Plus I could name you hipsters and point them out. I'm not a hipster. I refuse to believe so unless someone can sit me down, and explain it thoroughly to me that I am such a human being. And clearly that isn't possible so....good luck world because I see everyone as...well...HUMAN BEINGS. That's really all we are, right?
SO STAHP THE LABELS, OKAY? Please stop. They confuse people and don't make sense often times. (: Also, it's the idea that it separates us as people. If we choose not to label people, maybe the world could just be a happier place.


No comments:
Post a Comment