6.18.2014

Hollywood: Ruining Dating Lives One Step at a Time

Don't get me wrong, I adore hollywood. I mean, I did after all want to be a film major at one point. But there's always been something that bothers me about it: the expectation of how the dating pool should be.

I used to be just like every girl, I loved "romcoms" (romantic comedies for those of you not familiar with slang) and quite literally expected some boy to come around and sweep me off my feet. My senior year of high school, I watched The Notebook for the first time, and to be honest, I did indeed cry. I didn't understand why I did, I mean **spoiler alert** the old couple dies together...OUT OF OLD AGE. It shouldn't be that sad. Sure it was seen as some weird romantic gesture that he told their love story every day to his wife so she could for a split moment remember who he was and suddenly forget again. But in all honesty, if I watched that movie right now, I'd probably want to throw the TV out the window because it's garbage. Yes, I said it. Any film that is "based on a Nicholas Sparks novel" is complete crap. Well, at least it is in my opinion (and probably most, if not all, men). But it doesn't just stop at Nicholas Sparks films, it's really any romantic comedy or romance movie. The Vow? Somebody hand me a puke bucket, NOW. Once I watched A Walk to Remember with some friends, and I laughed the whole time and the level of how unrealistic everything was.

Okay, I get it. At this point, you're probably sitting there saying, "RACHEL, YOU HAVE NO SOUL IF YOU DON'T LIKE THOSE MOVIES"

But why? Because I believe that love isn't some weird fantasy nonsense made up by Hollywood? Because I believe that happiness is decided for yourself and not because a man came by and gave you a box of chocolates or flowers? Because there isn't going to be some fairytale story where it's always been the guy right next to you that has been in love with you?

I suppose a "Chick Flick" that I do really enjoy is Legally Blonde. Why? Because Warner DUMPED her. He was supposedly the perfect guy and he said he didn't want her because she was too much of a "Marilyn" and not enough of a "Jackie" (also totally judging you if you don't understand that reference. Go study up on your American history) So what did Elle Woods do? She became that Jackie for him enough that he didn't deserve her anymore. GO ELLE. Any film that empowers women should be promoted and not garbage that you should wait in a tower for Flynn Rider to come. (Yes, indeed I am a hater of that movie as well) Why should a movie like Tangled be praised when it promotes the idea that a person will change for you, that you should just go for the first person you meet (or date in a realistic scenario) IT DOESN'T HAPPEN, PEOPLE. She's only 18, and the only way I can even begin to describe Rapunzel or Tangled is Provo Utah in itself. Which I get, Rapunzel = #relatable. Girl leaves home for the first time, girl finds boy, girl gets married.

Maybe that's why I had such a draw to the new Maleficent film that just came out. GIRLFRIEND IS SOOOO RELATABLE. **Major spoiler alert** She meets a guy, he tells her he loves her and other crap, betrays her, she gets revenge. CLASSIC. **Spoiler over**

So ladies, or even guys out there --> DON'T LET HOLLYWOOD DECIDE YOUR FATE. CHOOSE YOUR OWN. Because you deserve something even better than what Hollywood has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment