Being a girl with short hair, there's a risk for being mistaken for a man.
BUT WHY
Yesterday, I went to the temple and was not only mistaken for a man once, but over ten times. I was told that I couldn't do a sister's name. I was called brother MULTIPLE times, and I was also told to leave the dressing room because I was on the "wrong" side. Ladies and Gentlemen what do we call this?
PURE IGNORANCE
I finally put my foot down as I was about to change back into my normal close and one of the temple workers screamed "brother brother brother" at me before I acknowledged her. A mom walking past me looked at her confused saying, "Uhh that's a sister" followed by me saying, "I'm a girl." The worker grabbed me instantly pulling me in for the most awkward hug of my life followed by her grabbing my face telling me that I was "beautiful" And that's when I ran back to my locker and cried. It's really disheartening to hear someone only call you pretty because they mistook you for the opposite gender. I kept telling myself to stop crying because it was a ridiculous thing to cry about. I mean for crying out loud, I knew who I was. I chose to cut my hair this short and I had to face the consequences. But of course you need to consider that that's when Satan gets to you. Because you're upset and you'll instantly jump to stupid conclusions. I kept wiping of my face waiting till I calmed down but thoughts like, "this is why guys don't date you" came into my mind. Which is completely ridiculous in itself. If someone is purely only thinking of looks when it comes to dating then you shouldn't even consider that person. **cough tinder cough**
So please step back and ask yourself, "WHAT IS BEAUTY?" I have grown up having to teach myself that it is a state of mind and nothing more. Society is so completely messed up that they have drilled into our minds that if I don't have long hair as a girl, I'm probably a tom boy or even a lesbian. If I am skinny that means I might possibly anorexic. If I weigh more than Kim Kardashian that means I am no longer beautiful. If I don't wear make up I am ugly. BUT WHY? Why is that the stereotype? This is why I want to leave Happy Valley Utah so bad. BECAUSE IT IS AWFUL HERE. I have never met more judgmental people that live in complete ignorance. I am so ready to finish school and just book it out of here and never come back.
I shouldn't have to deal with people wondering if I'm a boy! Because why can't a girl have short hair? Who said it was wrong? Everybody has their own story as to why they are the way that they are. I have my reasons, you have yours. (Feel free to ask me anytime, I'm fairly open about it.) But just because I have short hair, it gives you NO RIGHT to assume who I am or am not. And the same goes for you, dear reader. Open your eyes past the ignorance and welcome yourself to the 21st century. It's 2014 people, not 1914. And if you're going through a hard time to because of something like looks, take a step back and tell yourself "I AM BEAUTIFUL" (yes even males can say it) you'll eventually start believing yourself and disregard what everyone else thinks of you. Because at the end of the day, you and only you can choose your fate and happiness.

No comments:
Post a Comment