No, I didn't get my identity stolen. But I did have a moment earlier this week where I had to step back and question who I really am and want to be.
As human beings, it's easy to compare yourself to others. We can't help ourselves. For example, whenever you hear of some twelve year old that just graduated top of their class at Harvard, you can't help but wonder why you've done nothing with your life but average things. I think the best thing to do in those situations is not have those things bring you down, but build you up. Have that be the motivation for you! Granted, most of us have passed the age of twelve and probably won't be attending Harvard. But it's nice to try harder than you already are. There's always something to improve on. In my own life, and as silly as it sounds, my own motivation to getting to law school is Elle Woods. If she can get a 174 on her LSATs, SO CAN I!
So with my own situation earlier this week, I found myself comparing my life to someone else's (who, mind you, is not one of my favorite people) wondering if I was just as crazy or unlikable. I was telling a friend that I would never want to be the person that is so terrible that people would roll their eyes because their name was said, or would be questioned as to why someone would want to date them or perhaps even gasp or scream "NO!" when the name pops up.
So naturally, I was freaking out, attempting to get validation of my status from friends. Because no one wants to be told they aren't who they think they are. My wonderful friends reminded me that despite what the world might think I am, that is only the surface and if I know what I want and what I believe in, and that's all that matters. AND IT'S TRUE!
You can live your life being a Debbie-Downer or choose to be that annoying, yet helpful, Positive-Polly. And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:
Post a Comment