So I decided to start re-watching Boy Meets World because...why not? I mean it's one of the best shows from the 90's. There's a particular episode that I want to discuss. It's titled "Teacher's Bet" it made me cry like a baby. So you're probably wondering why.... well, it was about how Mr. Feeny bet Cory that he couldn't get the class to learn anything on their lesson of prejudice. Meanwhile, Eric is trying to woo an asian girl (holla at my home girl)
At one point of the episode, Cory (as the social studies teacher) makes a point that there are still racist people around due to his experience with Linda (Eric's asian [almost] girlfriend) who got called something really bad at the mall (if you don't know what that word is, count yourself lucky)
And you want to know why I cried? Because this episode came out in 1993. The year I was born. And it's now 2014 and there's STILL racist people. And yeah, I've dealt with some. I also feel like sometimes people are subconsciously (or closet) racist. I mean think about it, if you're used to seeing a certain "type or kind" of people anything new will shock you. So you tend to hide yourself, judge that person for what their appearances are and they by human nature defend with the end result of hurting that other person.
Guess where this post is going? ....yeah, you guessed it dating once again (y'all better get used to it cause this is a point in my life where it's important). You see, I have this thing where I refuse to date anybody Asian. Why? Simply because I have never found a single one attractive. Sure they might be good people but there's just something weird about it. Plus as an added bonus if I don't marry someone asian that means my future children will be really good looking. Have you ever seen a blasian? I HAVE AND THEY WERE AMAZING. Ha. But the point I'm trying to make is, people are really really shallow these days, possibly more-so than before. So yeah, don't get to know that person in your class, but at the end of the day who's fault is that? YOURS. And no one elses. I'm not saying you have to date anyone foreign-looking so you "don't look racist" but friendship is such an important thing too! Do you know what the most reassuring thing I hear from my friends is? "Sometimes I forget you're asian" because it reminds me that skin color doesn't matter, but the way I act and treat others. So buck up, be open-minded and don't be rude to not just people that have a different skin color but dress differently or think differently or anything that breaks off of what you consider to be "normal".
I guess what I'm trying to say overall is
BE KIND TO EVERYONE.
Because you don't know everyone's stories from their outward appearances nor do they know yours.

No comments:
Post a Comment