I will admit, fall semester was kind of sucky. I had to deal with a lot of different things that seemed to bring my world down. I had a friend pass away, my dating life was horrendous (still is), 90% of my friends were STILL on missions and my grades weren't too hot since I was still in summer mode from Disney. Overall I just felt very lonely. Although I had great friends surrounding me, loving parents, and a great roommate, things just seemed to not be all too great. I kept focusing on the wrong things to run my life instead of the good. So when this semester began, I took a step back to look back at the bigger picture and realized there were some major changes I need to make.
I think within the past 6 months, the most important thing I've learned is that the past is the past, and there's nothing I or anyone can do about it. But there is something I can change about my future. So the past month, I've been trying to live by that. I've been trying harder to appreciate the small and simple things and find something to be happy about every second that I can. I've never really considered myself a very religious person, but recently, I've decided that I needed to change my focus to Christ and becoming like Him more. Something easier said than done is working on that unconditional love He and Heavenly Father have. I'll be perfectly honest, IT'S REALLY HARD TO DO. As human beings I think we have a natural tendency to hate and judge others because they sin differently. Well, I have [old] news for you, as President Uchtdorf stated in his talk, "The Merciful Obtain Mercy", you need to STOP IT. We're all kind of having a hard time, which is actually a really big reason as to why I started this blog. Nobody said life is easy, but nobody said that you can't get through it either.
The past month has been SO great. I kid you not. I've never been happier. I'm in a place where I'm content with everything, even if it isn't perfect. [But when is anything ever perfect?] I sat in my living room the other day and officially decided that if I don't end up being a Media Arts student, I'm going to be okay with it. God wants me somewhere else, and I need to accept it and be happy with it. Something else I've kind of had a really hard time with is dating. I can understand that some will not understand that this is seen as a trial, but in my own life it is. It's hard dealing with the fact that hardly anyone ever asks you on dates and that everyone you've ever met simply only wants to be your friend. But I have this feeling that dating shouldn't even be my focus right now and as much as that sucks to hear, I have to live with it and eventually become okay with it. I mean, I'm freaking twenty years old, I have such a long life to live still! And let's be honest, nothing really works out the way you plan or want it to most of the time. And I know for a fact that everything will work out in the end.
I believe every single day you wake up, you decide what kind of day you'll have. And yes, the past thirty one days, every single day I've decided to be happy. I've re-learned that everything happens for a reason and that if you're prompted to do something, don't wait! Act on it as soon as you can, because if you wait too long, it might be too late to get the original result you were meant to have.
So choose to be happy!! I know I have, and it was the best thing I've done. I'll admit, there are still hard moments, little triggers that can get you down or remind you of sad things but just remember the big picture of it all. As they say in Meet the Robinsons, KEEP MOVING FORWARD!! (:

No comments:
Post a Comment