3.17.2014

F E M I N I S M

YOU might find it to have maybe a "negative connotation" or think of it as something that "a lot of left-leaning people are" or "crazy girls that think women are better than men." Well, I have surprise for you...guys can be feminist too. So today I've decided to just talk about it. Lay it out on the table.

This is a GREAT TedTalk on feminism. No, I don't expect you to watch the whole thing, I mean it's a cussing 30 minutes. But if you ever have time...TedTalks are just overall great.



So looking back on the past few months... I've come to the conclusion that I might be a feminist. Let's consider the following.

  • When I get a job, I believe I have the right to be paid equally to a man starting the same day as me. 
  • If you take a step back, there are actually more men in careers like fashion and cooking. So...where exactly did those stereotypes come from that women should be doing those things?
  • I get really excited when I see commercials like GE had for the olympics about the little girl who's mother works for GE.
  • I ask guys on first dates. My parents hate it. My friends rarely do it. But if you want something, go get it. Right? I mean, yeah it might not work out because let's face it not every one likes super forward girls, but I'm over it. 
  • I have short hair. Because 1- I hate hair. and 2- It's my rebellion to the world saying "SUCK IT, WHO SAYS I CAN OR CANNOT HAVE SHORT HAIR"
  • I love Star Wars and Batman like nobody's business. I'm going to be honest, nobody knows Batman like I do and that includes men. I know every villain, every sidekick, and every hookup Batman's ever encountered. You might call it an obsession, I call it a passion. And who said it was wrong for a girl to be obsessed with a super hero just because she think's he's awesome. Not because he's extremely handsome but because he's just a cool guy!
  • I am not a tomboy. I'm awful at sports, I don't really watch sports or know much about them. BUT I absolutely hate chick flicks and pinterest, and those moments when girls hear something cute and you literally just hear the room go "AWWWW" it's THE WORST. I SWEAR.
  • I believe that when it comes to dating EVERYONE gets friend zoned.

So yeah, I listed a lot of my so called "feminist qualities" but I also have I guess just the generic stereotypical "woman qualities". For example, I love shopping, disney, painting my nails, obsessing over British actors....the norm. I also don't mind if a guy pays for dinner on a date, even if it was me that asked. I like getting my door opened for me, having guys do things that I probably and actually can do myself (i.e. taking out the trash, or getting my own cup of water) but it's really nice when some guy just offers to do it! And let's be honest, I make fun of the WNBA....because it just doesn't make sense to me.



But at the end of the day, being called a "feminist" is just another label. (Refer here to my blog post about labels) Why can't I just be a woman, who enjoys and appreciates equality without the label? The world can just calm it's pants down and move on with life. Gender roles are stupid, and everyone should be entitled to do whatever the freaking heck they want. I'm not asking you to be a feminist, heck I don't even want to be called one. Why should my certain beliefs and lifestyle suddenly label me as something that I hardly care for? You don't see me shouting from the rooftop "I'm a femenist, I'm an asian and I'm a woman" LIKE NO. That's not a thing. As Jesus once said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (John 8:7) We're all different and it's important to love and appreciate others, regardless of race, age, sexuality, political stance, or gender.

As the song goes.....

1 comment: